2014 Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix was held in Shanghai International Circuit during April 19th - 20th. As one of the global sponsors of Ferrari Team and Mercedes Team, PUMA wanted to maximize the awareness of its sponsorship so as to increase the familiarity of its motorsport category.
Without any budget to afford a paid media or on-ground event, we turned into a strategy to earn the attention through 200,000 spectators' mobile phone screen. Thus, we introduced the first-of-its-kind Live Wi-Fi Leaderboard.
1. A set of ten Wi-Fi routers had been placed into each grandstand of the circuit.
2. The ten Wi-Fi routers were named respectively by top 10 drivers’ abbreviated name and ranking. Drivers from Ferrari Team and Mercedes Team were highlighted in association with PUMA.
3. During the match, we remotely changed the Wi-Fi routers’ name in each lap reflecting the live lap timing and race info in real-time.
The strong results:
1. Created a first ever earned medium to engage with audience in a live sports event.
2. Expressed to the 200,000+ spectators on the ground when they commonly searched for a public Wi-Fi connection and be connected 54,500+ times by 32,200+ mobile devices throughout the race.
3. Maximized the awareness of F1 Sponsorship, which eventually increased the familiarity of PUMA Motorsport category by 22 percentages.