Although Gillette had nearly doubled its market share over the past three years, the brand had mostly appealed to a younger, more urbane, image-driven male But, had failed to engage with a larger group of men, to whom stubble was an expression of their manliness. As a result, they were beginning to see Gillette as superficial & shallow. Thereby, Gillette’s brand ratings on its core values & emotional equities among this group started stagnating.
So, we set out to develop a campaign that would address this barrier & help strengthen Gillette’s core “manliness” values of courage, camaraderie, integrity, discipline & grooming.
We discovered that the person who embodies the Gillette brand values in its entirety is the Indian army jawan (soldier). Moreover, these values of the soldier exist in every Indian civilian.Thus, was born The Everyday Soldier: Gillette salutes the soldier within.
Gillette launched a movement through a petition to the President of India to rededicate the Gateway of India monument to the spirit of the everyday Soldier. We used live TV shows, digital, PR, events & even changed Gillette packaging to camouflage in support of the movement. T
he campaign surpassed all our set objectives and expectations.
- We sold 12.3 million razors in that quarter, more than the previous two extremely successful campaigns; reaching the highest-ever share for Gillette in India at 50.6%
- We generated the highest-ever free media coverage worth USD$4.3 million for any P&G campaign across Australasia, ASEAN & India, an ROI of 1: 11.
CREDITS OF PEOPLE
- Josy Paul, Chairman & Chief Creative Officer, BBDO India.
- Rajdeepak Das, Executive Creative Director, BBDO India
- Shahvez Afridi, Regional Planning Director, BBDO Singapore.
- Keegan D’Mello, Account Director, BBDO India.
- Sandeep Sawant, Creative Director & Head of Art, BBDO India.
- Ravi Shanker, Associate Creative Director, BBDO India.
- Akanksha Saxena, Account Executive, BBDO India.
- Yohan Daver, Copywriter, BBDO India.
- Rajeev Mohite, Editor, BBDO India.
- Sagar Jadhav, Art Director, BBDO India.